Wednesday, July 15, 2009

July and the things one can do in the Sonoran Desert

I just learned last month, the week before monsoons begin in Tucson, beans will fall from Mesquite trees. Sure enough, my honey mesquite tree proved the adage true. I have been harvesting my beans over the last three weeks, roasted them and will make flour with them by grinding them up in my blender. This year is the third year I've done so, with more knowledge under my belt each year. A good tip, is to grind the flour outside, the find powder that grinding beans in a blender produces, gets on everything in the area. The flour has natural sucrose and so, it's slightly sticky and gummy when trying to wipe up. I looked flour mills, to make the task simpler and with flour mills I have some choice in the coarseness of my flour.

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Whisper-worlds-grain-machine/dp/B000CPJKWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1247675048&sr=8-1

However what has great appeal to me and takes up less space in my kitchen, is a local group who has a portable industrial grinder that will make flour in moments for $1 a pound. Seems like a deal to me!

http://www.desertharvesters.org/calendar/

Last year I really wanted to attend, and bring my beans for professional grinding, since usually I just use my blender with good results. Last year I saved 1/3 of my harvest just to take to the Tucson Meet Yourself event....however I was in school and my priorities resulted in my missing the event. However, this year things are looking really good!

No comments: